Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sweet 'tato pie




Well, it's official. Amara likes the sweet potato pie (as do the rest of the testing group!)

Because of a somewhat heated debate at work, Tammy and Jason encouraged me to try this southern classic, because of "how good" and "different" it was than pumpkin pie--

Well, knowing that I've made over 20 pies so far this season--I figured what could I lose? And CERTAINLY didn't want to miss out on another potential family favorite!

After Amara helped me with the potatoes, I got down to business, found a recipe and went for it. We all got to try it--and liked it, though--I have to admit, if it were a blind taste test, I don't know that I'd know the difference over pumpkin on most days. The texture, spices, flavors, etc. were all identical--I'd say MAYBE I could taste the sweetness of the sweet potato, but that is a reach.

Regardless, Amara kept coming back for bites--as she's known to be quite the little grazer when eating. She's never really apprehensive with eating, unless something is extremely hot or cold with that first bite. Other than that, she's usually good.

I'm pretty sure, in the extreme closeup shot, that I was trying to capture her mid-bite-steal...but that is pretty much like trying to photograph a hummingbird :)

Also, it's of note, that Amara is REALLY into feeding herself with forks now, and has even stepped-up her "sharing" as I call it--as in sharing with this lovely fall scarecrow decoration, which, incidentally is NOT one of her dollies. (not that this stops her)

I'd say overall, it's still in the lineup, and if we ever decide we're bored of Pumpkin, or have a bumper crop of sweet potatoes from dad, we'll certainly revive this one--but we're good for now!

No comments: