Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Amara's (self) hair trim

I knew it would happen.

Amara LOVES scissors...and has.  I knew she'd cut her hair at some point, all kids do--just didn't expect it tonight.

We'd had dinner and I was playing with Cora.  Eric was clearing the table (enchiladas, mexi-rice, and strawberry shortcake...I knew Amara didn't have the best night and she was kind of sad at school this morning, so I was trying to cheer her up a bit.)

I don't know when it even happened, but the next thing I knew, Amara's cute little side-braid had a very angular slash through it.  She cut it below the rubber band, but it still took a solid 2 inches off of it.  Ironically, today was the first day she's let me braid the front part of her hair in days--so it was in a perfect little bundle all lined up for her.

Deliberate and quick.

I asked her when she did it, how it happened, when it happened.  She lied. (she's certainly in a lying moment right now...)

She finally confessed to having done it (shocker), showed daddy where the scissors and pile of hair was, and took her 'medicine' as we lectured her about scissor safety.

For now, the scissors are away.  All we could find--I know there are more stashed because she loves them so.  Eric wanted to give her a second chance, but the big gash she took out of her hair scared me.  Those (BIG) scissors had to be close to her face and I don't want it happening to her (or anyone else) until she understands the dangers better.

I don't dare take a photo--lest I appear to give this topic more drama than it already has...for tonight.

Scissors--time out.  Fail. :(

No comments: