Friday, March 1, 2013

Thursdays with Beanie

Since the fall, when we started up with a new gymnastics routine for Amara, I pick her up on Thursday after school, we grab dinner, and then to class (at 6).

Sometimes it's varied--a friend will meet us, we'll need to run an errand, etc. but for the most part, we eat inside at McDonalds (her fav) and then off to the Cheer Center.

This week, I decided to mix it up for her.  I asked her if she wanted to try something new--and we headed to Donatos.  She was thrilled to see the case in the front brimming with salads and promptly picked one.  The gentleman rang us up and handed Amara the cups--and she scurried off to fill them.

Happily, she realized the drink station was MUCH lower than McDonalds, so I was thrilled she could do it herself.  I showed her how to work the ice lever and she has so excited to try the pink lemonade too!

She helped me with the straws and napkins and then our breadsticks were ready.  She dug right in and we toasted 'to a fun king and queen day at school, to dinner, and to a fun gymnastics class.

After our meal, she helped me clear, making several careful trips to the station behind her, emptying trash that I carefully staged for her.

She was beaming with excitement from all the new things she got to do and try and help with and two other parties who came while we were there, also picked up on her energy and couldn't help but smile.

When we were done, she packaged up her tiny take-home box and we floated outside.  It was starting to snow a tiny bit, but as I bundled her into the car, she asked if she could hold her box and drink (of course.)

Even though it's a rushed half hour or so, I've really come accustomed to, and enjoy my dinner alone with my big girl.  We chat, laugh, talk about the weather and her life.  She has grown up before my eyes, almost 5 now, and I want to capture her this way (in these moments) forever.

No comments: