Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Cops n Kids day

Last year we missed the cops n kids day in Harrisburg but it sounded so fun, I got it on our schedule early this year! It took place during the day of the homecoming weekend on Friday, and I picked one of the days the girls were with me, so I could take them. We were thrilled to see the rangers there as well as the fire safety house and lots of other agencies. 
The girls got to see the state patrol helicopter land right in front of us! It was windy and crazy, but amazing too. The kids all got a chance to get in it and even got up front (right before they told us there were too many sensitive instruments and made them get out, haha).

The rain was threatening all day, but the girls loved visiting the stations about gun safety, talking with police and fire and enjoying a community cookout too. It was really a sweet little event and the police even gave the girls shirts (even though they are adult-sized, they didn't care), coloring books and some other trinkets. 
The mobile bomb robot was there too, he wasn't operating that day, but it was still cool to see. Amara was particularly obsessed with the local teen band that was playing and made friends with one of the girls' (Rachel) who played games with her while Cora and I hit up the bounce house. They even gave her a CD of their music when they packed up.

They got to play at the old Harrisburg school playground a little bit too--we weren't really dressed for it, with the weeds it was super buggy (and all the rain) but there were plenty of kids around to play with. 

I had a great time on one of "my" days with the girlies. The summer is blowing by for sure--I definitely won't get to do all the things I imagined in my head when I planned to spend time with them this summer, but I'm getting to as many things as I can!

No comments: