Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gymnastics: Fall '12

If you count The Little Gym and the red barn, The Cheer Center marks our third gymnastics venture in the girls' short lives.  TLG is just too far for us to make it to, and Amara REALLY wanted to learn cartwheels, so we did some digging and got the girls enrolled.

Cora's class is Wednesdays from 4:30 to 5:15 with parent...tumbling, walking the balance beam, climbing, trampoline, and some kind of bounce track they run and tumble on...the usual, and Amara's class starts stretching at 5, then works through tumbling, and on to cartwheels and more advanced tumbling.
Eric had to take the first week, as I was tied up in a conference at work.  He said it was rough, but having them both by himself didn't help--so I tried to reserve judgement.  Last night was the 3rd class and they both are doing REALLY well! 

Cora leads me around the obstacle course-type set up, climbing where she needs to climb and reaching for my hand when she needs to help up.  Her favorite so far seems to be the stars on the mat, where, as she approaches--she knows to hop/jump to the next one, and boy is she ever proud of herself to jump!

Amara ran out into the viewing area last night shouting "I just did my first ever cartwheel all by myself on the trampoline!" with about as much excitement as I've ever seen from her--that melts my heart.
Ms. Leah is the coach for both, and she is great with the girls.  She's tiny, so they aren't intimidated and she's patient and gets on the floor and helps them.  The classes are both super small too, so they get lots of attention and lots of turns at the activities.

We are really enjoying our time at TCS.  I'm not buying any bows the size of their little heads or leos (leotards) or booty shorts (the pants that go under skirts, apparently) ...but I'm enjoying watching them enjoy themselves :)

No comments: