Thursday, November 15, 2012

We voted!

At Primrose, Amara's school does an election each November.  Last year, they got to vote between their room mascots, who would be the lead one for the month, and this year was similar.  They set up a voting booth behind a curtain and the kids get to vote.

I decided then, that since Amara had had some exposure to it, that I'd take her voting with me this year.

Tuesday election day just happened to be pajama day at school also, so we got ready and headed out around 7:45 to the fire station to vote.  We actually followed our neighbors Roger and Susie all the way to the polls, so I think she appreciated that she knew someone. She also spotted a friend from school in line with his mom, so there was a lot for her to take in.

The machine was electronic (like a big iPhone) so I let her do all the voting (button pressing) for me, and when we were done she got the famous voting sticker.

We headed to Starbucks to get our free election day "indivisible" bracelet and then we had fun reciting the pledge of allegiance as we pulled up to her school.

She headed inside proudly wearing her bracelet and voting sticker, jammies and all.  I told her "everyone gets to vote, and it's important that you do." I have no idea if she'll remember going with me, but I plan on taking her with me as long as I can.

xoxo

No comments: