Sunday, June 8, 2014

Amara's beach party

Amara asked for a beach party this year and Eric and I of course stepped up to the challenge. First, we asked ourselves, what can we do to create a beach in Ohio, right? After just a day or two of planning, we were rolling, and Amara jumped right in to help.
First up, friends--gotta have all of them. I think we sent out over 20 invitations. She was so happy to see her school friends, old buddies, and family here too.

Cake? of course! Amara and I started a Pinterest board of her ideas and she found a sand castle cake idea that we both loved. Amy stepped up to make one of her creations and we were not disappointed! It was beautiful and delicious!

Of course, that also meant I had to serve the 3 tiered cake--good thing for me everyone had bathing suits on for the mess and were forgiving of my slowness :)

Drinks! Something special for the grown ups and cute for the kids. I spent the morning of the party scooping out melons and adding adult libations to some...

while daddy and I put stickers on the others. Amara picked out a blue punch too that was the color of a pool--and Melissa helped me make it just right with blue cool aid, ginger ale, lemonade, ice and lemon juice--it was yummy and the adults liked it too!

Balloons are the kids favorites and really make the barn festive. The fishy backdrop helped really make things feel be beachy too, and the whole thing really felt like a tropical get away.

Melissa helped with the flowers on the tables and for decoration. She and Amara raided our yard before the party started, adding some last minute decorations for the big event.

Little sister Cora had a blast too--the kids got to do some crafts at the sand art table and shell bracelet making station we had set up for them. All the kids got to make one and several of the grandparents ended up heading home with gifts too.

The Kona ice truck came too--for some cool treats for the kids. Everyone was surprised to see them come, and lined up quickly for their hawaiin shaved ice. The flavors that were the most popular were the blue raspberry and cherry from what I could see.

Amara's beach party was a great time for all of us. Since Amara asked for pizza and doritos--i didn't have to do any fancy cooking, and the kids could eat on the go--I think i have a future party planner on my hands. 

And like a good host, Amara, daddy and I made these fabric baskets for gifts for our friends. We filled them with beach themed cookies and candies for the kids to take home, but I saw plenty of them eating before they even got to leave! i love that Amara loves to pick out fabric and make plans with me and that I have such a great helper in Eric, who stayed up late 3 nights working on them to make his big girl's party special.
I feel pretty confident that Amara and her friends had a great time. She is already talking about an "orange" party for next year, but we will see--it's not even June yet and we haven't lived here at Denton a year, but we have so much to do and plan and experience this summer. This was the last big hurrah for my almost kindergardener--but I hope she had as much fun as we did helping to execute her dream. love you beanie girl.

No comments: