Sunday, June 27, 2010

Father's Day weekend: Part 1

As with Mother's Day weekend, we have a lot of juggling going on.  3 very special dads in our lives--wanting to do something with all of them, but having to pick and choose what we could do when.  We decided to kick the weekend off Friday night with Papaw Young.  Eric and he golfed Player's club, while I came home to get dinner and the lemonades started--Eric had already made Grandma Young's Key Lime pie earlier in the day, so my load was light! 

We had a great dinner, and wonderful dessert, and opened presents and celebrated, it was a nice evening!

We got up Saturday morning, ready for the weekend and to explore.  We kicked it off with our first ever visit to the Clintonville Farmer's Market, bright and early.  We wanted to get some (local) honey, and just see what they had...we ended up with 3 kinds of cheeses, 3 jars of honey/ jams, a ladybug windmill, some blueberry cookies, p.b. cookies--still not sure how E got some of these things into the bag I WAS CARRYING :).  ...but it was really nice, and we can't wait to go back. We also ended up with a basket of the most tart, sour apples I think I've ever tasted--but in true form, she loves them.  They are VERY similar to the tiny green apples she eats and Grandma Jahn's all week, so I'm sure that is why...

We love the G.C. farmer's mkt too, but this one had a nicer selection of cheeses, beef (Eric found a local Chirizo sausage guy--though he was out by the time we found him too!  We're trying to make a conscious effort to buy locally when/ where we can.  Growing up on a farm, I know I'm sensitive to helping local agriculture, but as an adult I can see the societal, cultural and health benefits of it all too, so I'm glad to be taking on this tradition for our family and our future :)

No comments: