Saturday, December 18, 2010

Advent Calender

According to Wikipedia:  

Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming") is a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.

For me, it reminds me of German club, in high school.  It was one of our big (well, of few) fundraisers.  These flimsy cardboard boxes contained tiny perforated windows and behind each, a tiny chocolate square.  We sold them around holiday time to raise funds for those traveling as a part of the exchange program, but loving to sell fundraiser stuff, I just liked doing it ;)





Fast forward (a few) years and I stumbled across the same childish, cardboard designs in World Market, I couldn't resist.  I think they were literally under a dollar (though I KNOW we sold them for $3 or $5 back in the day--) and I couldn't wait to get it home.

Last night, December 1st, daddy brought it over to the couch.  He unwrapped it and did his best to explain to Amara that she could open one door, the one with the 1 on it, and enjoy her surprise.  How do you think that went?  A board full of doors and I can have ONE chocolate?  yeah, that wasn't part of my nostalgic Hallmark moment.



After we had moved on to grapes, Eric put the box up high on the desk, so we could admire it, and anticipate tomorrow's treat.  I frankly thought she'd forget about it and we could do this in the evenings after dinner, but no--first thing this morning, she bypassed my room, to get downstairs where Memaw was, and pointed and said "chocolate behind the doors" to my mom.  


I'm not sure if I was anticipating it, or just understood her more clearly, I mean c'mon, that is a common childhood phrase, no?...regardless, I came down, and together the 3 of us opened the door for December 2nd.  I told Eric at work, later, "at least we have the weekends." I'm pretty sure that will be something she's asking for, the next 22 days every morning.  Fine by me.

No comments: