Monday, December 19, 2011

Oh, Christmas Tree!

This year, I started my tree scouting EARLY. I asked dad to find a tree farm for us MONTHS ago, and boy did he ever!  The place we went last year was great--but the trees just weren't what we needed.  This year, we wanted to go B I G.

Dad found a place called Land's farms, between Strongsville and Circleville (over half an hour away.)  We took Friday afternoon off and headed down with our muck boots on, camera, and snacks for the trip.

We looked high and low--and this place was STOCKED!! there were dozens of kinds of trees--some I'd never heard of...and then i saw it.  From across the field, one tree stood above the others.  Getting closer, this tree was12-13 feet if it was a foot.  The tag revealed the name Canaan fir--one I'd never heard of, but a quick search told me it was long-lasting and aromatic.
We looked around at a few others, but quickly went back to our other tree.  Beanie and Grandma examined nearby dear stands while Eric and Grandpa cut the monster down.  A wagon came and loaded up our tree while we headed back to the barn.

The girls were starting to get antsy, so we loaded everyone up and headed home--but what a great trip and great find!  I can't wait to get decorating--and the house ALREADY smells amazing. I could literally smell it from the playroom downstairs!!  Eric said she's drinking water like crazy too :)

No comments: