Saturday, May 22, 2010

New friends: worms

So, Eric and I have been in the process of landscaping the back of our house for a couple weeks and of course, it's in various stages of 'torn up' from day to day.  Eric has been out sodding the area a bit a time, and we're planning on getting the shrubs in, then all the fixins' later.

On one particular evening, it had rained, and we were out playing while Eric sodded.  Amara decided to get in on the game and was putting sod pieces into the wheelbarrow, when she discovered worms.

She was immediately entranced. (and note the crazy hair from playing in the sprinkling rain)

I guess it's true what you hear, kids aren't innately afraid--they learn it from grown ups--because she was not scared AT ALL.  Daddy picked them up for her and put them right in her hands.  She'd comment on dirt they were 'eating,' or that they were rolling around, or wanted off, like nothing of it.  (I, on the other hand, don't particularly care for worms, but did my best to hide it--and quickly got my gardening gloves on before offering to help.)

One particularly funny moment came when she was trying to transfer the (sticky) worms from one hand to the other.  She couldn't seem to get one hand to turn and the other to stay still.  She eventually got it, but it was cute to see her processing it and figuring it out on her own.  She would kind of lean her body to one side, or tilt both hands at the same time--dropping them...but was finally able to master her task. 

After that night--she's always looking for worms in the dirt.  I'm not sure if that one worm character is still on Sesamie Street or not, and trust me, I don't want a worm farm in her bedroom or anything, but I think it's pretty cute how gentle she is with all creatures, and that she doesn't rush to squash them like I otherwise might have...now, we LOOK for bugs, not try to avoid them.  It might be a long summer :)

No comments: