Saturday, March 31, 2012

First concert

Let me reflect by saying, I don't remember what my first concert was. I remember going to see Tom Petty with Tim in high school--and I'm sure I went before that...

Last night, the girls and Eric and I went to see Marina, Kiki, Twist, and Shout, otherwise known as the Fresh Beat Band, at the Palace Theater.

Eric and I were so excited to take them, I am pretty sure we were more revved up then Amara was.  Over the last few months, Cora has gotten into the musical aspect of it as much as Amara had, so we decided to take her too.

We waited till the day of the show to tell Amara what was going on...so the day started off as Pajama day at school...then we raced home to change, only telling her we were taking her to a big surprise.  When we told her we were seeing Fresh Beat, it was clear she didn't get it, but she kept asking if this or that in the car on the way there was "the big surprise," it was sweet.

We finally got to the Palace garage just shy of 5:30.  We walked in and it was kids everywhere--with glow sticks, and T-shirts, and food :)  Eric and I had decided we would likely only stay till intermission but certainly not till the end of show (with Cora especially).  We got Amara a purple Kiki and Marina t-shirt and her glow stick ($40) and went in to find our seats.

We were in the 2nd row of the louge, great seats!  The show was a little late to start which made for some fidgety kids, but when it started, they were great.   They kids all loved hearing the familiar songs.  Cora yelled and bounced along, Amara just starred at the stage almost star struck.  They sang favorites like "friend like you," "bananas" and the crowd favorite "freeze dance."  It was a good mix of funny snippets from the TV show and songs mixed in with insanely fit dancers.

At intermission, Eric and Amara grabbed some M&Ms and water to tide them over--and Cora and I people-watched until the 2nd set began.  About 2-3 songs in though, it was clear we should go.  We listened to "Loco Legs" on our way out into the cold, and talked about the city at night on our way to the car.  Because we were the minority leaving (I did see some others) we enjoyed a quick ride home and straight to bed.

As Fresh Beats always say "What a great day."

No comments: