Saturday, February 28, 2015

Cora's cake

With dad's birthday just a few days before Cora's, we had celebrated with cake recently--when Cora said she wanted Strawberry cake for her birthday. For dads, we used Golden Delight on Bethel--we've gotten several of theirs over the years and they are great but pricey and not convenient. 

On Cora's birthday, I drove up there, only to find they are closed on Mondays, so I punted. I called Eric, he found me a frosting recipe that sounded close, and I headed to the store. 

I got home with my bags, and got to work on the cake first. Next, sliced up some beautiful berries and started assembling it. Last, made my frosting--it came out PERFECT! I was so excited I could have died!! My decorating has never been the best, but it was purple and you could make our her name, so that worked for me. 

I wanted it to have plenty of time to set up, so it waited on the back porch for us till after dinner. When I finally showed Cora, her eyes opened wide and she gasped. I think I started to cry--she was SO happy and I was so proud. She really liked it, I could tell.

Everyone said it was better than Golden Delight--I don't know that I'd go that far, but it was VERY good and I will gladly make that for my girls' birthday parties any time they ever ask me for sure!

No comments: