Sunday, February 28, 2010

C'mon People!

In the category of "things Amara is picking up" from her caregivers...I heard a new one this week.

Mom was sick--so Eric and I got to stay home with her. I was home Monday and Wednesday--so I got to take her to gym class, and I decided to hit the library too!

We had a great time, and she enjoyed the G.C. library (as well as getting her own library card to check out one of her new favorite books "Please, baby please!")...but the real gem of the day was on the way home.

I'm driving up 62, and it's just after school had let out--so there's a fair amount of traffic. I'm pulling up to a light, and I hear this little voice say "C'mon people!" in kind of a bewildered tone...

I looked up to the rear view mirror--mouth open wide, to see this smiling face looking back at me. She said it 2 or 3 more times before I couldn't help it and just cracked up. I said "what did you say?" and then SHE started laughing and giggling, and putting her hand over her mouth as she snickered (also a new development).

I immediately had to make a phone call. I knew this, right away, to be the work of my mother. I can't TELL you how many times I've been on the phone with her (with Amara in the car) that I hear mom say "c'mon people..." so it was just a matter of time before she picked up on it--like anything else toddlers hear over, and over, and OVER again.

I asked mom if she had ANY IDEA where Amara might have picked this phrase up?

(I mentioned mom was sick...) but she laughed (HARD) and said "I really needed a laugh today..." and that was the end of it.

Two days later, I'm at work and I get a phone call, from mom--Amara in the car...saying "I just heard it! I had said "c'mon people at some old lady who couldn't drive and Amara said it right back at me!" She was laughing so hard she almost couldn't talk--but did get out "at least I don't swear!" I guess she's right :)

Well--there you go. Don't say anything around this one, you don't want repeated back!

No comments: