Sunday, February 28, 2010

Grandma Lucy






The same day as the "C'mon, people" incident, mom had taken Amara to Mt. Carmel East, to visit her friend Jeanette. They had been in the cafeteria, eating lunch...

Walking down the hall on the way out of the hospital--Amara says "Lucy."

Mom turned around and saw a lady--who, believe it or not, resembled Grandma Lucy. Through their tears, Jeanette and mom explained to Amara that Grandma Lucy was with Jesus and that the pretty lady wasn't her--something I was glad for, because as much as Grandma loved Amara, I would never want Amara to think Grandma Lucy was ignoring her--something she never did.

Amara was just over 11 months when Grandma Lucy passed last year. We talk about her often, and we have photos around--one in particular of Lucy holding Amara at around 4 months old--that is in her family photo book...but she hasn't seen or been around Lucy in almost 10 months.

I wondered if Amara would remember Lucy from all the photos, video, songs, etc. that we were lucky enough to have with her--but that moment, that one tiny moment, makes me realize the impact Grandma had on that tiny little girl--and all of us.

Looking through photos, these have to be some of the last we got together of them. The one in the sweatshirt was at one of Amara's swim classes in April--where clearly Granny was cheering Amara on as if she was going for the gold medal...and the others, (although not so flattering of Amara) were just after Easter at mom and dads, in mid-April. I would bet money that there--like always, she was singing "Here we go round the Mulberry bush" as she did a thousand times with all of us.

I was so amazingly lucky to have my Granny here with me until I was almost 34 years old. I enjoyed her so much, and miss her terribly. I know Amara had fun with her while she was here, and I don't think has the capacity to truly miss her--but maybe Amara reaching out to that lady in the hospital, was somehow Granny's way of reaching out to Amara--to let her know she's there for her, like we all know she is.

No comments: