Monday, December 31, 2012

Daddy checks in...New Year's Eve style


Thinking about 2012, Dad

Just a quick entry from me to recap some of the highlights that my poor memory can recall. Fortunately for me, my family does so many wonderfully "highlight-able" things, they're easy to remember.

Cora
I can't believe how you have grown - not so much size but as a little person with a huge personality. I mean, heck, within just these last few days of the year (literally, since Christmas), a switch went off and you're talking non-stop now ... not just your traditional, adorable, "can't quite make out what you're saying" talking - full-blown repeating understandable words and stringing together things like "Morning!", "No, I not like that" (usually directed toward your sister). I call you "our bright light" - you are absolutely a joy and you keep us sane. Your laugh is infectious and the faces you make - what a natural entertainer! I honestly don't know that I can pick one single moment that stands out, but if I had to pick - it'd be recently, when I bring Amara in with me to get you out of bed in the morning - you pop right up in your crib, squeal "Hi!" and run to the rail of the crib to give your sister a huge hug (complete with a few pats). You can't even imagine how amazing it makes me feel to see you unconditionally love your sister like that. What I'll really take away from this year is just your unbridled good spirit and how your faces, laughter, charm, and warmth just make life all the more special. I love you!
Amara
You are such a special soul. Your wit and intelligence are greater than I could've ever imagined ... sometimes, that gets both you and me in trouble, and you challenge us to the max. But, clearly, I wouldn't change anything. You are SO beautiful and I can only hope that you are able to understand, even if only partly, how I love you to the moon and back - a million times over. It's precious how you call your sister "sweet - heart" (two, very separate and enunciated words). You are such an amazing big sister and Cora looks up to you so much. There's no way you can know this yet, but she already tries to be like you in so many ways. If there was one thing that everyone else in the world will remember about this year, it'll be 1 word : Eric. You insist on calling me that at least 75% of the time, instead of Dad or Daddy. And, especially when you do it in public, everyone within hearing distance completely cracks up. I'll also remember the times, partially due to you trying to charm me to stay with you longer at bedtime but also partially due to your living spirit, you put you arm around me and call me your little angel and the way you turn your cheek toward me so I can kiss you. I'm so lucky to have you to keep me on my toes and to be able to be your dad. I love you!
Micki
My bride of over 5 years now. Another year full of reminders that I owe you my life. We certainly had our challenges this year - family drama, me being a head case, a "gloriously infuriating" 4-year-old ... but through it all, it's clear to me that we are both "all in" for each other and our family. Just like with the girls, it's impossible to pinpoint the one most memorable moment. But, the party you threw for my 40th birthday certainly comes to mind quickly. I mean, a food truck?! Who else in the world would do that? And, that was just the most obvious part of that party, but everything about it was perfect. But for me, when it comes to you, it's less about the monumental occasions but more about the everyday stuff. That's not to sound mundane or routine, but it's a highlight of how you make every day special. The baking, the treats, making sure we get one-on-one time in the evenings, the projects we take on, the way you wonderfully take care of our girls, ... That said, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I have to call out your new-found love of quilting. I love seeing something give you so much joy - you deserve it. The quilts you have made for us are amazing, and I am so honored to be associated with you, when you use your passion for others, like the Childrens Hospital quilts. Anyway, roller coaster or not, we've got a great life and I'm thankful that you're at my side. I love you!

No comments: