Saturday, December 22, 2012

Ladybug Christmas party at GCCCC

Mrs. Misty put out a call to parents to be involved with the kids Christmas party and of course I jumped at the chance to get in there ;)  I happened to be the only parent lucky enough to be there, so I was happy to take photos as well as help with games, stories, etc.
When I arrived, the kids were already working on their pipecleaner candy can craft with fruit loops, a favorite I have come to learn!  Seeing the camera, Amara wanted to pose with her new buddy, Saphira, who was happy to entertain her.
While the kids moved on to fruit loop Christmas bingo, I went to the narthex to hide candy canes, for the candy cane hunt. I hid 40 canes for the 11 kids to be able to search for in a pseudo Easter egg hunt fashion.
We then got ready for the candy cane long jump. (And the letter of the week was "C", so lots going on with that!)  The kids lined up and got their candy bags ready, then it was time to jump!
The did a standing long jump and got to keep as many candy canes for as far as they jumped. Amara loved this (she does it at home on placemats all time time, so I knew she would) and quickly scooped up her canes with Mrs. Misty.
The class lined up to head downstairs for the hunt. I didn't get a great photo of Amara, they were all running too fast!! ....but they had a fun time helping each other search for their quota of 3-4 each.
Next, Mrs. Misty read The Legend of the Candy Cane for the kids, who sat and watched and listened intently to the story of the how candy canes came to be and all the Jesus/Christian connections. It was a really clever book, and made me wonder for sure!

Back upstairs for craft time, the kids got to frost trees (sugar cones) with frosting, and decorate with colorful marshmallows.  The kids fell into line to wash up and participate, all sitting at their designated seats, listening and following directions.
Lunch arrived, but before it was time to eat, Mrs. Misty asked if I could read to the kids.  They all gathered round on their rug and I got to read 2 Christmas books to them--one Max & Ruby and another one about trees.  They listened pretty well and Amara and Landon helped me put the books away for lunchtime.

Amara loves the "God our father" prayer, and all the kids followed along.  We sometimes do this prayer at bedtime too--it's to the tune of "Where is thumbkin" and is a simple yet thankful tune to hear.
The kids all got special Christmas mugs to use with their milk, and loved them! Mrs. Misty certainly spoiled the kids and they enjoyed every second of it. She is so great with them--going out of her way, she's spoiling our family too ;)  Amara got to bring her mug home and enjoys using it as often as I can keep it clean.
Amara and Saphira took turns making tiny trees out of their broccoli and both ate their veggies very well with a little ranch dressing, or snow, as I called it....it's all about packaging, right?
Lastly, before I left, the kids got to munch on their trees for dessert.  I don't think any of them ate very much, they were pretty full from their great lunch, but I'm sure they polished them off later.

Amara brought home a lovely book from Mrs. Misty, as well as a bag of candy canes, and some coloring pages. I was so very thankful to be included in just a few hours of the kids day--and grateful to Mrs. Misty and the ladybugs for having me for the day.  I hope the opportunity presents itself again!!  (Mrs. Misty said I there was a preschool teacher inside me dying to get out...I HIGHLY doubt that, but I'd be her assistant any day )!

No comments: