Monday, December 31, 2012

Our first quilt drop off

When I decided last year to pick up quilting, I knew I was serious about it, but as I learned more about quilting, began to see that it can be time consuming.  Add to that all the shirt making, other mending and projects, and our Children's hospital quilts can sometimes take a back seat.
Over the course of the fall and winter, the girls helped me select flannel, cut, assemble sandwiches of fabric, and lastly sew the quilts together.

Eric even got on board, helping coordinate fabrics and snip the edges of the rag quilts before washing--something I think he secretly loves because he gets to use these fun spring-loaded scissors I picked up :)

My goal had been to get at least one quilt to Children's this year, and we exceeded that by getting 3-4 done!

We took them up to Children's to drop them off--it was hard for me not to be emotional--thinking back to when Amara was so sick, her quilt, her room, and the reason this whole project started in the first place.

The girls knew why we were there, and they were happy to pass the quilts on to "kids who were sick, or sad, and needed them to be happy," according to Amara (love her heart).

We are already picking out our next fabrics and love to revisit this as often as we can--I want this to be something we always do, and that they continue to enjoy and pay forward.  I hope that they appreciate it as I do and that our quilts bring some smiles to kids at Children's, just as Amara's did.

No comments: