Friday, October 29, 2010

Apple pie time

For as long as I can remember, we've done apple pies at mom's in the fall.  In the past, it was mom, granny, sometimes aunt Charlotte, and I--recently, Eric jumping in as needed.  Sometimes we'd crank out a dozen or more pies, sometimes less--but always with the goal of stocking the freezer with mom's plethora of apples to enjoy at Thanksgiving and during the cold Winter months.

This year, Beanie decided to get into the game. Once she saw that apple crank operate, she was hooked--not to mention getting to sample the lovely thin cut apple slices.  She was all for turning and cranking away, as quick as we could get apples loaded for her.

I did get this shot of her sampling her works, but the best was when she sampled the apples after the cinnamon and sugar was added, priceless.  She took one (apprehensively) from a giant bowl of the filling I was making and kind of walked away.  In seconds, she returned asking "want more apples" and when I handed her one I'd just peeled and cored, stated "no, the OTHER ones," I'm pretty sure she knew the difference.

As usual, we didn't bake one of the fresh pies, they all get wrapped in heavy duty foil and put into the freezer for safe keeping.  We can't tell exactly how yummy they will be until we actually bake one, months later.  This round, we had used some of our Jonathan and Jonagold apples from a recent Lynd's trip, mixed in with mom's mystery apples from her tree, but I'm sure they will be delicious!

Now, I just have to pass on my crust making tradition, since I STILL can't get mom to share that task with me :)  I'm all about making my crusts ahead of time, and she wants to use the Pillsbury in the red box, BOO :)

No comments: