Friday, October 29, 2010

Haunted gingerbread house

I picked up several crafts for us to do, in the wake of Amara being super sick a while ago, and my mobility being limited.  Among them were the Wilton premade haunted gingerbread house kit--something I'd seen and wondered about, ever since Eric and I started making our own homemade ginger bread houses. 

I should explain the pre-made part by saying the only thing premade are the walls/ roof panels etc.  You get baggies of candies and packages of icing powder, you also have to make.  I'm kind of a traditionalist and would normally do all of that myself, but given the desire to involve Amara, it kind of needed to be quick and easy. 

We unpacked the pieces and dug in. I cemented the walls as Eric directed--harder than you'd think because of the 'haunted' design, it wasn't clear really how the thing went together.  As she waited patiently, Amara began to decorate, poke, sample, and experiment.  By the end of the time, once the house was all standing, she really wanted to handle the piping bags herself, and I figured, hey, icing washes off, why not?

Well, it didn't take long for her to lick a finger or two and try it out.  I don't think it was that the icing was particularly decedent, but more that she could do it all herself.  She and I took turns 'gluing' candies on, and drizzling icing all around.  She actually got quite into it and we maybe spent a half hour or so decorating (a LONG time for her) before she finally announced she was done.

It looks really cute and will be a nice centerpiece for the house for a while--not having much of a sweet tooth, I doubt she'll even mess with it, but we'll see!

No comments: