Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Arts in the alley : Fried cookie dough

Oh my goodness. 

First, I should say that we headed to Arts in the Alley in downtown GC to see the attractions, maybe pick up a few holiday do-dads and check out the kids' area.  What we WEREN'T planning for was an insistent toddler who wanted 'cookies' not understanding (though I tried) that it was fried food--specifically, cookie dough.

We had meandered down a street where music was playing and it wasn't too crowded, enjoying the sights and people, and we had allowed to have dinner there if we found something we loved, but didnt' really have an agenda.

When Amara spotted the 'cookies,' "no" wasn't acceptable.  Sure, it was later and she hadn't eaten and it was kind of warm and she couldn't really walk around, so she wasn't her happiest self--but she persisted and I caved.  I got in line, not realizing there'd be a wait too--but we did. Eric took her to walk a little more while i waited the 5 minutes which felt like an eternity--

at last, our piping hot confections were delivered.

They looked like hush puppies really, and smelled--well, like heaven.   I knew that they'd be scalding, so we all found a seat on the curb and I forked one in half and started blowing.  Before I could stop her, she grabbed a piece I was blowing on and crammed it in her mouth.  I was worried it was too warm, that she wouldn't like it and spit it out, or that she'd love it and grab a whole (hot) one and run--none of which happened.  She just started...dancing.

Our girl is not a twirler.  Only on RARE occasion will she have a moment of spinning in a dress or skirt, but doesn't make a deal of it.  This girl, started wiggling and clapping to the music, running circles around me (still sitting, blowing pieces of the confection) and Eric was grinning from ear to her--he had to try it too.  We all tried it.  It was good.

I can't remember if they gave us 2, 3, or 4 balls, but there were only fragments left.  Not officially the most nutritious dinner we've ever had, but we all enjoyed ourselves.  Our typically "salty over sweet" girl was transformed, if only for moments, into the cookie monster herself.

I don't know if we'll venture down this path at our next festival, but yet again, she has forced us to try something new, and made it work.

No comments: