Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Daddy checks in...

Eric doesn't chime in often, but I specifically asked him to put some words together for this year.  He writes:

"Not much has happened this year - I don't know what I should write about ... OK, really : 

Let's start about my girls maturing ... sometimes way too quickly.  See that picture of Amara in her Christmas dress ... beautiful, stunning, but way too much in the category of "5 going on 15".  With an attitude of a 15-year-old, to boot.  But, I wouldn't change a thing.  

Amara, I can't put into words how special and amazing it is to watch you, apparently on a whim, gather up a bunch of craft supplies, and whip out a picture for someone.  It doesn't matter if it's Susan Blaies (one of your all-time favorites) or some handyman you've never seen before and will never see again ... you magically create the most beautiful things.  We're not talking about a couple stick figures and a sun - I love seeing what complex art your mind dreams up and that you're able to put on paper. 

 It's also really fun watching people's reaction, especially people that don't know you - I hope you're disappointed when they seem to not react with a bunch of energy ... but let me tell you, I watch their faces and it's pure amazement and surprise in their eyes.  Not many souls in the world are as genuine and sweet as yours and it just shocks people that a little girl they've never met would create something like that for them.  It's a beautiful trait sweetheart, and I hope you always keep that quality (along with so many other wonderful things about you).  And, I'm so proud of you for your gymnastics and cheerleading!  It's awesome watching you develop and try so hard and get so great at it.  I'm really happy for you and look forward to years of it, if you decide you want to keep doing it.

Cora - what a wide, glorious range of personalities.  YOU'VE been the one to get your BIG sister even more into makeup and dress-up, And you love your dolls!  But at the same time, you're as rough-and-tumble as they come.  I love how you appreciate being outdoors and you don't shy away from any challenge.  I love how much you admire and adore your big sister, which is obvious in all the pictures of you two. It's impossible to say the words of how much that means to your mom and me.  There's nothing we want more for both of you than for each of you to be happy and for you to realize what a special gift you have in each other.  You are such a character ... literally - the way you put on shows and sing  ... and your facial expressions!  You're hilarious and true to yourself, and you simply amaze me.  One of the other things I treasure is our little "I love you" exchanges.  Don't be surprised if "so much" ends up being on a plaque or something ... it just hits my heart a special way when that's how you respond when I tell you how much I love you.



Then there's the house ... the old new house ... or the new old house ... however you want to say it, it's OUR house, OUR home now.  The year started with this not even on our radar.  Then, we stumbled on it, which resulted in us stumbling onto the most frustrating but rewarding "ordeal" of our lives.  3 contractors, 9 months (after we closed) in April, and many more gray hairs later ... we've got this one-of-a-kind wonderful home and property that is better than I could've even imagined.  The headaches were there, but they were worth it - we were able to put our own stamp on just about everything (and by "our" stamp, I mean mostly Micki's stamp - thankfully).  I know we've still got a lifetime of maintenance and updates and fixes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I'm not going to ramble about the house - Micki has done a more--than-amazing job of perfectly documenting everything in her blogs.  Let's just say I'm so thankful for this place.

Which leads me to ... my wife.  Who clearly, is responsible for all of this - everything good that happened this year.  It was she that found the house online and prompted the "pursuit" of it.  She had to bear the brunt of the contractor visits (or non-visits) and the debates and the inspectors and all of the other headaches.  But, she's also the one that had almost every design, structural, functional idea - every one of which came out perfect.  Thank you for all your patience and hard work and foresight, honey.  I know a lot of this hasn't been particularly fun, especially for you - but I know that you appreciate how much this means to me, and words can't fully express how amazing you are for putting me, the girls, and this house above yourself.  And, the girls are who they are (and who they are becoming) because of you.  You expose them to so many important and valuable things that I (nor anyone else) could.  Their flare, their appreciation for cooking and crafts, and their sense of humor are all thanks to you.

This year certainly had its up-and-downs ... but all of it just set the stage for 2014 and for all the years to come - and I couldn't be more thankful and excited!"

No comments: