Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Just a few words from mom...

I can't recall a slow moment this year.  As I sit here, my mind races about a thousand things I can't find--can't recall if I donated them, or they are just misplaced.  This year, Eric and I moved from our 3rd into our 4th house together--one we didn't even live in for months, and now that we're here (over 5 months now) I just feel like we're getting the hang of things.

We had a lot of change going on, no doubt, but with change has come the blossoming of our family into a new order.  One where the girls roam and play about much more freely than we ever knew them to.  Where Eric is gaining knowledge and confidence as a handyman, spouse and father--in ways he never knew he wanted to, but is growing daily.  Me? I still feel as if I don't have my 'sea legs' half of the time--but I'm sure I'll get there.  There are moments when I regret the move, the sale of the Copper ct. house, but there are moments too that I love the house and property where we are.

This too is the last year before Amara starts school.  I'm trying to cherish every moment of her before that phase in her life takes over.  I love the way she likes to cook, bake, do crafts, paint, sing, dance, and make people laugh.  She turns to Cora almost as if an advisor or a confidant, and their relationship is becoming quite sisterly.

Cora is free-wheeling and cafefree.  She gives 100% whether she's playing or mad at me--she leaves nothing in the wind, and loves with her whole heart.  She has blossomed as a leader with some of the smaller children at Mrs. Sarah's, especially on the days when Amara and Jonathan aren't there.  She's quite kind with other kids and dogs, and is quite giving of her heart and spirit.

We took two vacations this year--firsts for our family, and I know the firsts will continue--as they have for 5 1/2 years now.

This will also be our last full year with Mrs. Sarah--as she prepares her life and her family for their journey to Africa starting in June of next year, so while we have had an amazing year with her, we're already sad to think of her not being part of the family.

People keep reminding me of all we have accomplished this year with the move, house, etc. but I still feel like there is so much more to go, or to come.  Getting organized will help me I'm sure--but my goal for our family is to continue to provide a safe and happy home for all of us. To support our girls and give them all the tools they need, the love, the sense of family, God, and love that they need to succeed each day.

This is the last year I will have a 2 and 5 year old daughters--never again will any of us be this age or in this moment again, so as the year closes--I am happy with what this 2013 has brought me and am thankful too.


No comments: